Happy labor day!
I hope today you are relaxing with friends, making some delicious food and enjoying a day off work.
This recipe is perfect for labor day festivities because it combines three of my absolute favorite things: bread bowls, spinach artichoke dip, and cute presentation to wow my guests.
I have made lots of spinach artichoke dip in my life, and I have tried many, many different recipes. This is one of my favorites, but if you have your own that is near and dear to your heart you can certainly substitute yours into the bread bowl.
- 3 packages of pillsbury french bread dough
- 1 egg (for eggwash)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 bag of fresh spinach, chopped
- 10 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (you can omit this if you hate mayo)
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay out first package of french bread flat on a greased baking sheet. Open the other 2 and lay them in a football shape on top of the first one. (I stretch them out lengthwise a tiny bit before putting them on the sheet to make the football a little bigger)
- Pinch the ends of the dough together and use toothpicks to secure them. (Otherwise they will come apart while baking)
- Remove the excess dough around the football shape and make laces
- Whisk the egg and brush over the entire dough football and laces
- Cook for 20 minutes
- While the dough cooks, add all the remaining ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined
- When the dough is done, fill the football with the spinach artichoke dip, top with the laces, and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use the football dough to eat the dip, (my preferred way) or serve with tortilla chips.
MAD Eats and Drinks