Whether you’ve tried it on a Mexican street corner or paid the extra 45 cents at Chipotle, you know Carnitas are absolutely amazing. If you haven’t tried them yet, this is your chance and plus, what better way to celebrate Taco Tuesday!
This recipe is a delicious, quick and easy way to make Carnitas! If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can saute in a pan instead and throw it in a traditional pressure cooker. However, my Instant Pot is one of my most prized kitchen gadgets, with the ability to get the same slow cooker tenderness in less than 25% of the time. It can be a rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker, steamer, warmer… you get the idea! Want the one I have? Buy it here! Mine is 6 quart capacity and 7-in-1, but you could also definitely get the mini (3 qt and 6-in-1).
Like one-pot recipes or hate doing dishes? The Instant Pot allows you to make so many recipes within the pot itself! No more browning or sauteing before putting it in your slow cooker! You can even cook multiple recipes at once!
Are you scared of pressure cookers? I was too at first, but there are so many safety features on this thing that it will not allow you to make mistakes. Just make sure that you don’t leave it unattended (just be in a place where you can hear it beep)- you shouldn’t have to because it cooks so quickly!
This recipe is also a great way to start using all of those spices in your spice rack! Traditional taco spice mix packets are full of preservatives, dyes and flavor enhancers, gross!
Source – adaptations are italicized
- 1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or more to taste
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced, or more to taste
- Trim excess fat from pork butt; cut pork into 2-inch cubes and transfer to a bowl (Instant Pot bowl).
- Combine salt, oregano, cumin, black pepper, chile powder, and paprika together in a bowl. Rub pork cubes with spice mixture. Coat seasoned pork cubes lightly in olive oil; place in pressure cooker. Press saute and brown the outside for ~3 minutes). Cover pork cubes with orange juice, onion, and garlic.
3. Place lid on pressure cooker and lock; bring to full pressure over medium heat (high pressure) until pork is no longer pink in the center, about 60 minutes (45 minutes). Let pressure come down naturally, about 15 minutes.
4. Remove pork from pressure cooker and shred meat.
Slap it on a warmed corn tortilla, top it with diced tomato and guacamole, serve with some lime wedges and you’re good to go!
Happy Taco Tuesday, everyone! Enjoy!
MAD Eats and Drinks