There are few words to describe how much I love broccoli cheddar soup. (Immensely and wholeheartedly come to mind) So as you can probably imagine, I make frequent trips to Panera so I can indulge myself. Well, thanks to this recipe, now I can enjoy my favorite creamy and cheesy appetizer from home! I actually think this soup is better than Panera’s, and it has an entire cup of vegetables per serving!
- 8 oz block of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1 cup shredded or finely diced carrots
- 2 cups finely diced sweet yellow onion
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli florets (can include some stem)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 fresh sprig of rosemary (optional)
- Melt butter in a large pot
- Add broccoli, carrot and onion. Cook 5 minutes on medium heat stirring frequently.
- Add flour and stir until evenly coated. Cook 1 min.
- Add chicken broth and stir. Scrape any flour that may be stuck to the bottom on the pot.
- Add milk, and shredded cheese. Stir.
- Add all the spices and stir. Turn heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 15 min, stirring occasionally.
- Soup will be thin. Allow it to cool and it will thicken significantly.
- Remove bay leaves and rosemary sprig before serving. Pairs great with french bread.
*Makes approx 7 servings.
*Makes delicious leftovers, can be microwaved but cook at short intervals and stir to avoid dairy curdling.
I hope you like try (and love) this recipe! I’d love to hear your feedback!
Mad Eats and Drinks